Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Holy Breastfeeding!

OK, I know there are lots of different views on the topic of breastfeeding, but this is my blog. I am Catholic, not a good one, but I make the effort so my kids have some type of faith until they can choose their own.

We were recently at the Easter vigil mass. For those non-church goers, that means mass the night before Easter that started at 7pm. We got there early, knowing it would be tough finding parking and a good seat (my kids like front row!) and we did get a front row seat in the side aisle. In the front row of the middle aisle was a woman with her baby, 3 sons and husband. The baby was beautiful and very well behaved. About 1/3 of the way into this 2 hour mass, the woman begins breast feeding, right there in the front row! It also happens to be right in front of where the priest sits while the readings are being read, etc.

My feeling is that breast feeding is an intimate, private moment between you and your child. I have friends that do not feel this way and have no problem breast feeding in public. I, personally, am not comfortable with it, but realize it's done just about everywhere these days. So, yes, it made me uncomfortable, but I also feel that church is no place to be breast feeding. The least she could have done was sit in the back of the church, where almost no one would have seen her. I mean, she was breast feeding on and off until almost the end of the mass when her child feel asleep! 3/4 of the church had to walk right in front of her slowly when they were going up for communion! Maybe I'm a prude, but that just seems wrong.

Let me know your thoughts on this matter!

No comments:

Post a Comment