Saturday, October 24, 2009

It's Good To Be Back At The Dexter Lake Club...


Wow! What a vacation! Two months in the Carribean, living in a luxury suite only steps from the beach....oh wait, that's the "happy place" I've had to turn to during all the crap we've gone through over the last two months! (By the way, the title of this post is a reference to the movie "Animal House" in case you were wondering...or maybe you're just so used to my zany comments you didn't give it a second thought)

It will take me a few posts to get everyone caught up...I'm really amazed at how much can happen in two months! Let me first apologize for leaving you, my loyal readers, hanging for all this time, I'm sure you were going through withdrawels (as the reader says, "Hmph, didn't realize she hadn't posted for that long..) Secondly, you can blame my hubby for everything...he's going to love that!

It all started back in August when my husband decided to download some virus protection program from the web (I heard a bunch of you just exclaim "idiot!"). Now, let me preface this by saying the poor guy gets sucked in quite easily...all you have to do in dangle any shiny new gadget in front of him and he's sold. Also let me say that we pay for virus protection through our internet service provider and one other service, so there was no need for anything additional. He still cannot explain why he did it....but he did. Slowly we noticed things changing on our computer, but we kept thinking the other one was changing stuff. Things like color schemes or fonts...small stuff. Then we started getting this flashing pop-up with an alarm saying crippling viruses were detected and we needed to click here now to get rid of them and this window had the Windows symbol in the corner, but it was slightly different - enough for me to realize it was a scam. Within a few weeks our computer was completely shutting down for no reason, when we were in the middle of stuff. Eventually, we were not able to get in at all. It has taken several attempts and different plans of attack, but we finally (and just this morning!) have our computer back in working order....thank you, Ken, for all your hard work in helping us...and when I say "us" I mean me, because it will take a while for me to let hubby use the computer again without supervision.

Now also during this time, My oldest daughter had pneumonia for 2 1/2 weeks, followed by my youngest having it for 2 weeks and missing the first week of school. While my oldest was sick, she had another, unrelated yet more serious medical situation that we had to deal with and still are. It was probably a good thing that our computer crashed during this time, I had about all I could handle dealing with many other situations - I honestly don't think I could have blogged...it would have sounded forced...you know the ones...sometimes I get lazy, what can I say? So we also were dealing with a financial crisis, unexpected (and unwanted in my opinion) relatives coming for a few days which has turned into 1 1/2 months (so far) - can you say super stressful? I know there was a bunch of other stuff in there, but suffice it to say I retreated to my "happy place" so much, I really thought I was living there! I'm thinking "New Year, Fresh Start"...who's with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment