Friday, June 6, 2008

D Day History Not Important to Media


I have to say, I've never been a big history buff. For some reason I remember weird facts - like from Freshman year in high school I remember the Battle of Hastings took place in the year 1066. No idea why that useless fact has stuck with me all these years - I have no intention of getting on Jeapordy anytime soon. Even if I did, I would never pick the "History" category.


So I had no idea this morning when I woke up that it was the anniversary of D Day. Once I heard it on the radio I had one of those "Oh yeah" moments. However, the morning show I was listening to (Loren and Wally in the morning WROR in Boston) talked about how there was nothing in the news about commemorating....or even mentioning this event!


I was soon at work and forgot all about it. Always seems hard to focus on a Friday, especially since my birthday is tomorrow and all I could think about was going to the movies with my kids and husband to see "Kung Fu Panda" and then going to Cold Stone Creamery for a dinner-sized ice cream.


So tonight when I sat down to peruse the news online, I remembered about D Day and looked through some online news sites. Nothing. Not even a mention. I had to really search to find anything. I'm not quite sure what that means, but I'm pretty sure it's not a good thing...how does it go? "We must never forget"....I don't know who said it, but those 4 words are pretty powerful.


So what did top the headlines today? Mostly politics - the Obama/Clinton meeting to be more precise. Because we just can't get enough politics on an hourly basis. The price of gas was another big one. It's hovering just under $4/gal where I am...I remember not too long ago thinking it would never get to $4/gal.

I rec'd one of those pass-it-along type of emails that said the only oil companies that do not buy from the middle east are Hess and Sunoco (for my area). I usually go to Hess anyway, but it would be interesting to see what would happen if people stopped getting gas everywhere else. Of course I have no idea if it's true or not. Maybe someone out there can enlighten me?


I would really love to hear from anyone that has seen or heard D Day anniversary coverage. I also would love to hear from others on how the cost of gas is affecting their daily life.

Happy Birthday to Me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment