Saturday, January 10, 2009

Scientology Surfaces Again....

Just Me and My E-Meter!
Now of course I feel terrible for John Travolta and his family for the recent death of his son, Jett, but people all over the world lose their children every day, and they aren't in the news. I know, he's a celebrity - and one of my favorites, for the record - and that means that people want to know about his life and family and every other mundane thing he might do. The death of his son has also brought Scientology into the media once again...Scientology got such a bad wrap when fellow Sientologist, Tom Cruise, went bezerk on TV about Brooke Shields using prescription drugs for post partum depression....then he continued going bezerk when talking about Katie Holmes and I think everyone at that point realized he had just gone off the deep end. For the record Tom used to be one of my favorites but after all his bezerk-ness I now boycott Tom in my house....although Risky Business really is a classic, and I bet that was before he was introduced to Scientology. I myself am not that familiar with Scientology, although I have heard of the book "Dianetics" and I know I have read some articles on it and remember reading how many Scientologists are famous, wealthy people. The article seemed to indicate that Scientology might be responsible for the fame and wealth. I went on to the official Scientology website to have a look around and hey, who wouldn't want to sign up for a way of life that begins by being hooked up to a machine called the "e meter" (pictured above). The picture shows a person holding what looks like the end of a jump rope in each hand. These are connected by wires to a big box looking meter that supposedly reacts to changes in mental activity. So somehow our mental activity comes through our hands? This could explain a lot. We should use our head less and our hands more....
Anyway, back to the Travolta's. Of course I feel bad for them and their devastating loss and I in no way want to diminish his accomplishments, however, think of how many people are out there that go through this kind of loss, or worse, and don't have money to help them through it. I don't just mean money to pay for funeral and burial costs, but money for a chef to shop for food and cook for you and all your company so you can grieve without having to think about such mundane things. Or money for a housekeeper to do all the housework so while you're grieving you don't have to concern yourself with how the house looks or if you have clean clothes. Or money so you can fly all your family in for the services and no one has to miss helping through this difficult time. There are so many people out there that have to deal with tragedy while still doing a million other things on a daily basis. They say money doesn't buy happiness, but it sure can buy peace of mind...

No comments:

Post a Comment