Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Garden Pest Control Continued....



I realize my last post had dragonflies and lady bugs in the title, but nothing in the actual post about them. I was having some technical difficulties...my apologies.

Now to continue Garden Pest Control 101...hopefully you all know me well enough by now to know I HAVE NO GARDENING EXPERIENCE so you might not want to do what I do...capice? Anyhoo...pictured above is a dragonfly. Some are afraid of these bugs...I think because they think they can sting you...which I'm pretty sure they can't (AGAIN, NOT AN EXPERT HERE)...only because I love having them land on me in the summer...they will actually do this quite easily if you hold out/up your arm with your hand extended...almost like a little landing pad for them. They are so delicate and come in all kinds of cool colors...I get so sad when I see one in the pool filter. However, these wonderful creatures eat TONS of mosquitoes so they are great to have around. Here where I live, they seem to come in waves. Some summers we have tons of them, and some seasons we have hardly any at all. When they are around, at dusk on a nice day you can look up about the level of the roof of our house, and you'll see a bunch of them darting around eating mosquitoes. They look nice in the garden too, but mostly they're great to help with the mosquitoes. Supposedly you can purchase the nymphs through the mail...as well as lady bugs. Lady bugs eat aphids (where were they last year when I needed them to save my rose bush!) and other garden pests (read: I have no idea what else they eat) and are cute, of course! We get them here right about now, in the Spring, and then don't really see much of them the rest of the year...so I guess I will have to mail order some for the summer! Any other helpful animals or insects I should have around the Letendre Family Farm? Just let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment