Monday, April 6, 2009

Lady Bugs, Dragonflies and Guinea Hens...Oh My!




Aren't these little guys cute? These are going to be my new pest control method in the growing Letendre Family Farm. OK, so after hearing from my friend, Sue, on how easy it was for her to grow lettuce, I decided to add some romaine to our "little" garden this summer. Then I started thinking about bugs that might destroy all our "straight-from-the-garden-fresh-taste-dreams"...I mean I remember last summer when aphids marched all over my beautiful rose bush and turned anything green to brown and full of holes. So I remembered reading some different articles about using animals as a pest control method. Pictured above are guinea hens....these little beauties eat ticks, mosquitoes and other garden pests, as well as weed seeds. Sounds like a dream addition to any garden...and I'm sure they look cute running around in my yard....hopefully the dogs don't think "snack" when they see them! This will be a test to see how often Mike reads my blog...I'm sure as soon as he reads this I'll be hearing him "No way! No more pets!", to which I will respond, "They're not pets, they are a "green" (I will make ghost quotes with my fingers when talking to him) pest control method and will keep the dogs and kids free of ticks as well as mosquitoes away from the pool area"...who knows if all that is true, but it sounds good!

No comments:

Post a Comment