Monday, May 25, 2009

Just Call Me Farmer Green Jeans...

Ta-Da! Here it is! Our first veggie garden!
I know what you're thinking....how many damn veggies are you going to cram into that tiny garden? No? Well, seeing as this is our first attempt at growing veggies, we're not really into rules about how to plant our stuff. The green plants to the left are our pepper plants we grew from seeds - don't fall over, it's true! Way back in February....when we get that first pepper from them it's going to be like Christmas! Then the big, leafy guy to the right is Bethany's cabbage plant. She got it from school and in the fall there will be a contest for the biggest plant....I'm guessing at some point the cabbage plant may take over the rest of the garden. Then you can see two rows of darker soil...this is where we have planted cucumbers, zucchini and squash. We also have a couple of planters with cherry tomato plants and more pepper plants. Now this raised bed is only 8ft x 4ft. My next door neighbor has one that I'm guessing is about 20ft x 20ft and he is a true gardener - in fact he did tell me that pepper plants need 1ft of space all around them and I'm sure if he reads this he will become anxious as he looks at the photo, trying to decide if there is, in fact 1ft of space around our pepper plants. I'll save you the trouble, we didn't even measure...we are kind of taking the attitude that if we get anything, we're lucky, but we don't have as much time as we'd like to put into the garden. I'm sure this will get all the gardeners' out there riled up, but that's just they way it is. My neighbor always has all kinds of great stuff coming out of it and he tends to it lovingly. Believe it or not, he actually entrusts us with its care when they go away....what are they thinking? It's quite stressful because I'd never forgive myself if I ruined part of his garden because I forgot to water it...I mean really how hard is it to remember to water a garden, right? We go away and he feeds our cat, feeds our turtle and fish...all we have to do is water the garden! Thankfully, we have done so successfully each time, and he always rewards us with treats from his garden...maybe this year we'll do the treating.

No comments:

Post a Comment