Sunday, May 31, 2009

Pretty In Pink...

We had a baby shower for one of our co-workers last week and I said I would being a dessert. I know, I know, what the hell was I thinking? I don't cook so I have no right to let people think I can actually bring something that will be edible! Well, I saw this great recipe in Family Fun magazine and it looked so easy.....so why not?! It is for petite four cakes. Ok, it wasn't as easy as it looked in the magazine, but it wasn't too bad either. You buy a pound cake at the store. Step one and I was already having problems! I can't believe how hard it was to find stupid pound cake! I went to THREE grocery stores with no luck; where did I finally find it? WALMART! Figures, the land of everything goes. Anyway, the recipe says to cut the pound cake into 1 inch squares. My pound cake seemed really high and the top had a dome shape, which wouldn't help the petit fours have that square shape. So I started by cutting the dome part off the top. Then to add a little taste to it, I cut the whole cake in half, length-wise, frosted with white can frosting, and put the two halves back together. Now I cut it into squares. But the squares seemed too tall and I thought they would look funny once covered in pink icing. So I put them on their sides and the shape looked better, although now there was a line of frosting between the right and left halves instead of between the top and bottom...but I was going for looks so I forged on. Here is what they looked like before I covered them with icing...
So then I proceeded to make the icing from the magazine using powdered sugar, light corn syrup, water, vanilla and almond extract. Then I tinted it pink and began pouring over the little cakes which I immediately topped with candy silver balls....
They really looked great! I was pretty excited about how they were turning out. It was about this time my girls came foraging for scraps and I said they could each try one, and so did I. Uh oh. This icing doesn't taste all that great. It actually tasted a little cardboard-like! It was all sugary ingredients, how could this happen? Well, I still had about half the cakes to cover, but I definitely didn't want to keep using this icing. I had some melting chocolate and figured that would be a better option. So I covered the rest in chocolate and drizzled with white melted chocolate, tinted pink topped with silver balls.....

They seemed to go over well at the shower and everyone said they liked them...maybe they were just being polite, but at least they looked good, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment