Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Holy Cucumbers, Batman!

OK, just to re-cap: we've never grown our own food before; I decided it would be a good idea to start and to do it from seeds, not plants; I didn't really go by the directions on the seed packets when I planted them, but really, what are the chances that ALL the seeds will grow, right? Oh, and I don't cook so Mike will have to figure out how to cook all the veggies we will get...that's of course if the plants don't get eaten or attacked by pests since we don't have any guinea hens to ward them off....
So here is a photo I took in May just after we planted everything. I started the pepper seeds in the house in February, so those plants are already well on their way; and we were given four cherry tomato plants; and the cabbage plant is actually a school project. Other than that, it's all seeds.
Now here is a photo Bethany took last week...look at the size of that cabbage plant! And what do ya know, it looks like ALL the seeds are growing! My next door neighbor, who has a garden every year, said one or two zucchini and squash plants are enough to feed our whole family (like including distant relatives!) ....but look at all those viable little plants! Now this photo was taken, say June 3rd....
This photo was taken only a few days later, this past weekend, and look at these zucchini plants! Those little spiky leaves weren't there in the last photo!

Here are the cherry tomato plants...

And of course our red and green pepper plants....I have no idea which is which!


And lastly, the small row of cucumber plants!

I cannot wait! We'll see if I still feel this enthusiastic by the end of the summer!












No comments:

Post a Comment