Tuesday, June 16, 2009

In Preparation For Things To Come....

I recently got together with friends and realized - mostly from the reaction on their faces I think - that I need to cut the 'ol strings a bit with my kids. I guess I know it's true...way deep down...where it will never escape into an action of actually doing so! I guess my feeling is, why take the chance that something could happen? But I guess suffocating them isn't the answer either. I guess...because people told me so. (kidding! it definitely could be the answer if it was a multiple choice question and the other two answers were "letting your 12 year old daughter go to a boys house for a party" or "letting your 12 year old girl go out with a 15 year old boy"...then suffocating would be a great answer...) Anyway, I still will not fly without my kids so Mike and I have never had the chance to go away anywhere far, just the two of us. I know, it's ridiculous. Either we all go down together, or no one goes! So a wonderful event happened the other day to prepare me for things to come. The baby robins in the nest just outside our door, flew the coop, so to speak! Jamie was actually taking pictures of them when it happened:

We thought there were only three babies in the nest, but after a week or so we were able to count 4 little beaks reaching up to be fed...
Then they grow pretty quickly and the nest gets VERY crowded. The parents start trying to get them to fly out of the nest, and then finally....

take off! Right onto the grass! After about 3 hours, all four babies had flown the coop. Quite traumatic for me...but I have to get used to it, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment