Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Kidney Stones, Part Deux

I wasn't going to talk about this, but the people I have mentioned it to seem to think it's funny, but also think I might be more disturbed than they originally suspected.

As you know I've been dealing with kidney stones - 5 weeks and counting. Last Thursday I was very sick, in pain and the room wouldn't stop spinning. Since I'd had surgery and should have been getting better, not worse, my urologist sent me to the ER.

Me going to the ER is difficult for 2 reasons: $100 copay and the hospital my doctor is affiliated with is not the most prominent in the area (read: not the most up to date) so I never know what I'm in for.

First, I get put into a large room with a nice bed...but they put me in a second bed that is shoved against the wall under some cabinets, like it was an afterthought. They pull a curtain b/w the 2 beds but minutes later the curtain might as well be invisible as I listen to the whole family of a woman brought in by ambulance. Not only do nurses and doctors walk over to my side and literally reach over me to get stuff out of the cabinets, but the other woman's husband is leaning against the wall facing the two beds and I almost feel obligated to start a conversation with him. This woman is brought in b/c she "tripped" down some metal stairs (have you ever seen metal stairs...anywhere?) and now her sister, husband, etc. have gathered around to pray for her blood to heal her and let her know that everything is going to be OK. Not joking, her sister went on and on about Jesus coming down to heal her blood. In between the woman telling the nurse all the anti-depressant medication she is currently on.

So while I'm helping the nurse get something out of the cabinets so she doesn't have to reach over me, yet again, I notice that the other woman's sister is quite large. I can be quite sure of this b/c I noticed the strain of the chair (from under the curtain I can see the bottom of the chair and her feet) when she sat down and I can see her feet. She is wearing Teva style water sandals that have not stood the test of time well. Now, the other woman is getting all kinds of attention and I have been forgotten about so I decided I needed to amuse myself while I was there. That's when I got a good look at one of the sister's feet. There, right next to the big toe, was what I can only describe as a "snaggle toe"....this toe was an inch longer than anything else on her foot and lets just say it wasn't well cared for. So I slowly pulled out my cell phone and whenever the husband moved so he couldn't see me, I used my cell phone camera to try to get a photo of the "snaggle toe". I thought it would be funny to put the photo on my blog. I coughed whenever I took a photo to mask the sound and I pretended to be texting whenever the husband looked my way. I'm really sad to say that the sister apparently drinks a lot of caffeine b/c I never was able to capture a photo of snaggle toe! Oh well, it did pass the time....

No comments:

Post a Comment