Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Team Brady, Lance Wannabestrong and One Historical Election...

OK people, wake up, I have some ground to cover here and I'm going to try to do it quickly....

I thought the name of the team was The New England Patriots, not The New England Brady's? Has no one heard the phrase "there is no "i" in team"? Living so close to Foxboro stadium - about 15 minutes - of course we are fans of the team, but the local media has been inundated with story after story of how will the team go on without Tom Brady, what will the team do without Tom Brady? Guess what, they will play football b/c that's what they are paid to do and for God's sake, lets give the rest of the team a little credit and have some faith in them! One fan being interviewed on local TV said it best, "In Belichick we trust"....and that sums up my feelings on this matter. (OK so maybe there is the small matter of us women losing our Sunday afternoon "eye candy" that makes it all worth while to sit there with our husbands and watch the game...)

Moving right along....news reports have been coming out about Lance Armstrong returning to bike the Tour de France once again. My feeling is, Lance, please stay home. It kind of bothers me when these big star athletes retire in a blaze of glory and then a while later want to return to the sport. I feel like they just weren't getting enough attention as "Joe Citizen" so they try to get back into the spotlight - they are attention hogs. You had your time to shine, why not let others have their time to shine now. If Lance really wants to get back into biking so bad, why not participate in all kinds of charity bike a thons...like the Pan Mass Challenge and I'm sure there are many others. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to belittle the wonderful things Lance has done for charity - but I think that's where he should continue. Let someone else have a turn in the spotlight.

OK, I have largely stayed away from voicing any opinions on politics for a good reason. Although I have a feeling this reason is really old fashioned and no one thinks this way anymore b/c I stated this reason the other day at work and a few people gave me that Santa Claus look again - they can't believe someone who thinks like me actually exists. I was brought up that there were 3 things you didn't discuss at work: politics, your pay and religion. I have, for the most part, stayed true to this - if I have discussed any of these topics, it's in general statements and most of the time nothing specific to myself. I have found many times I keep this rule outside of work as well.

Anyway, I am going to say that I thought by this point I would know who I was going to vote for, but I am so on the fence at this point I am really going to try to pay attention when they have debates. I do largely feel that during a campaign ALL the candidates say what they think you want to hear. They all make promises they won't keep and try to discredit their opponents. I feel like it's really hard to pick a candidate before seeing debates - seeing them in action, so to speak.

Regardless of who wins this election, do you realize that we are going to be witness to one of the most historical elections EVER!???? We are either going to have our first African American President or our first woman in the white house! Holy Moly, that's amazing - I mean this will be in text books! At least until they decide in the future that isn't really who won the election and they start changing or deleting history out of textbooks......

No comments:

Post a Comment