Saturday, September 13, 2008

Old Habits Never Die

Have you ever been so addicted to a video game that you just can't get enough? I'm like that with Zuma...I know, I know, I'm an adult...I should be past the whole video game thing, right? My husband actually bought it for me a few years back b/c I was playing it all the time on one of those free sites - but it only came up on a little screen and it definitely didn't have all the bells and whistles the "real" game has. I can be sitting here at the computer, going through my emails, thinking to myself "You really need to do the bills" or "You had a great idea earlier for a blog, get blogging!" So I'll shut down my email and there it is. Right on my desktop....the Zuma icon. I have played it so much that I have picked my favorite levels (5-9) and I just play those levels and try to beat my own high score total for those levels (545,000). Then while I'm playing I keep thinking "I really should be blogging or doing bills" b/c I feel guilty that I'm doing something mindless! Then I'll be right in the middle of racking up the points and my daughter will start calling me, whining about something and my reaction is "Are you kidding? I'm right about to get the slowdown ball and another coin!" OK, maybe I have a problem.

I can remember when my family got that first "video game" and all you could play was "pong" hitting the ball b/w 2 "paddles"....then we got Atari and that was cool...me and my brother played all the time. This was when I was in middle school and at the same time we used to hang out at the roller rink every Friday night and I was the "Ms. PacMan" queen. Then when we were in high school my brother got the first version of Nintendo and really the only thing I remember about it was Tetris. One night me and him sat on his bed playing Tetris until we couldn't see anymore. That's when we realized it was 4am and it was a school day. That kind of sucked...but I've always had a soft spot for the video games....funny now I really try to limit my own kids game time....I guess like all parents we want our kids to turn out better than ourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment