Sunday, July 26, 2009

Taking One For The Team On This One....

Let me preface this by saying, if you were there and you had a camera, you would have taken a picture too. And afterward, most of you would talk about it and laugh...but I'm taking one for the team and going as far as writing about it. I will say I used to work with mentally handicapped adults, so in no way am I making fun of them here. I'm just bringing to light how they sometimes make life a little more interesting for all of us.
Yesterday morning me and the girls were on our way to visit family and friends on the Cape (for those of you not from the New England area, that means Cape Cod). I decided to go through Dunkin Donuts drive thru for a coffee. The line was a little long, and while we were waiting I noticed this lady kind of walking in circles in the parking lot next to us. Every town has them, you know as soon as you see them they a little short of a full deck. They are usually having conversations with someone that is not visible to us (as this woman seemed to be doing) and sometimes they walk differently or wave their hands around for no reason (as this woman was doing). Regardless, we usually just handle these people with kid gloves and make sure not to take offense at anything that might come our way.
So.....when it was finally my turn to pull up to the window to collect my coffee and munchkins for the girls, this woman scooted right in front of me, right up to the window. Maybe she just couldn't find the door on the other side of the building?.She began having a very animated conversation with the Dunks worker.....and I couldn't resist:
I know, I know, I'm going to burn in hell....yeah, I get that a lot. Anyway, she obviously has enough of her faculties to know she had to pay for the coffee she got, although she did make a grab for the bag of munchkins, but the worker made a quick save. I drove away smiling that this woman added a little bit of character to my day....

No comments:

Post a Comment