Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Cooking Mishap....Who? Me?

I know you're all well aware that my life is really just a test to see which mishaps I can avoid and which ones trip me up....so you'll enjoy this one.

For those of you who don't know, I'll give you a little background on my kitchen expertise: I don't cook. I don't have time to cook, I don't really enjoy cooking and I'm really out of place...cooking knowledge that comes naturally to most people, my husband included, is lost on me. I can cook and occasionally do, but mostly I plan what will be cooked.
So Saturday morning I took a big piece of meat out of the freezer and told Mike I would get the cabbage, etc. to have a boiled dinner on Sunday...that he would cook, of course. All day Saturday the big piece of meat was thawing. On Sunday while I brought the girls to CCD and church, Mike began cooking. When we returned home, I saw a big pot on the stove, but then saw Mike checking another big piece of meat in the oven? He saw my quizzical look and explained that while we were at church he went to the store to buy the ham for the boiled dinner since what I had pulled out of the freezer was actually a pork roast....how was I supposed to know? I haven't a clue about these things. So he was going to make pulled pork from the roast and we would have the boiled dinner as planned. We actually ate in the middle of the day, very nice, filling meal. Even the girls liked it...very hard to please everyone normally. I'm going to remind you here that I was in no way involved in the cooking on this day. About an hour later I was finishing a game of scrabble with the girls when I noticed the oven was still on and seeing that we had already eaten, I shut the oven off...yes, I was not cooking, I shut the oven off. I thought to myself how I would gloat to him later about how he forgot to turn the oven off. About an hour....or so, Mike came out to check on the roast, still in the oven. All it took was the sound of the oven door opening, and before the words "Let me ask you a stupid question" were escaping from his mouth, I was trying to reason how I could have turned the oven off on his roast. I seem to remember a bunch of sorry's, but nothing beyond that. I'm really better off staying completely out of the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment