Saturday, November 8, 2008

Welcome to My Ancient Life


This was one of those "Holy Crap, how is this possible!" moments. I really don't have them often b/c I could care less about age. I'm 39. There I said it. It means nothing to me because in my mind, I just graduated from college a few years ago and, at least for the foreseeable future, I can't imagine thinking any other way.


Yesterday at work I had a conversation with a young co-worker who is fairly new to our company, but I already know she has a good sense of humor. She told me how she and her fiance had dated for 5 years before they got engaged. I asked if she got engaged when she was 12 b/c she didn't seem old enough to have been in a serious relationship for that long. She said she was 21. (make a mental note of this number)



Cut to a few hours later I was looking in the bathroom mirror at one of my favorite possessions in the whole world. I don't know why they are, but these earrings are great. I really would be devastated if anything ever happened to them. I was looking at them and fondly remembering that I bought them on a trip with my parents to Weirs Beach in NH. Then I remembered that I was a Sophomore in high school (smiling less), then I figured that I was probably 15yrs old when I bought them (smile is gone), I did the calculation and determined that my earrings were almost antiques! My earrings are older than my co-worker friend! For some reason this horrified me and I stared in disbelief for a moment.
Then I went back to admiring the earrings...I mean really, look at them, the sky is like blue mother of pearl, the beach is abalone and the sun and palm trees are inlaid something-or-other...adorable!

No comments:

Post a Comment