Thursday, February 26, 2009

Emotional Daze....

I couldn't even think of what kind of photo to attach to this posting - that's how fried my head is right now. Is there such a thing as chapped brain? ya know, like chapped lips?

Anyway, some of you may know, and some may not, but Mike is a cancer patient. He finished treatment in May of 2005 and you have to continue follow up testing for 5 years before they will cut the apron strings. So we had been coasting along since he finished treatment, loving life, every test came back fine...until last summer. Then they found something on his liver and it was as if our whole world came crashing to a halt. Now they told us it was probably nothing and they really weren't concerned so we shouldn't be concerned....yeah...riiigghhht. Any of you who have had cancer or have someone close to you with it, when they first say the "c" word, it's a terrible feeling. You know you hear all the time about people having it in one place, successfully treating it only to have it come back somewhere else in their body. Mike had a particularly rare type so they really couldn't tell us any stats on it coming back or not, or infiltrating other areas of the body. So understandably we have been walking in egg shells since his last test in the Fall. This week he had another set of tests and this morning we got the good news that it is not cancer and he is fine. Relief washes over me every time I think about it.

As if this wasn't emotional enough, my place of employment, as so many other companies during this economic crisis, had to do layoffs today. I was one of the very fortunate ones who is able to keep their job. I am very thankful for that, but it is sad to know these people we have worked with and joked around with are out of a job. When I saw one of the HR women who had the awful task of delivering the layoff news to employees, she looked like she wanted to cry. That has to be the worst part of being in the HR department.

I have some great websites for job hunting that I will put together for another posting...but not tonight, I need to chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment