Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Snubber or Snubee?

I had to write about this since I was just discussing this with friends recently. Grab a snack while I give you a little background. A few months ago I was attending the funeral of my friend's Mom. During the funeral mass, it came to the "give peace" part of the mass. For those not familiar with this custom, basically everyone turns to the people next to them, in front of and behind them, shakes each ones hand and says "Peace be with you". Well there was no one in front of me and no one behind me, however, there was someone 2 rows behind me...so I was already turned around, reaching across the rows, and the old woman pretended she didn't see me; me, the one holding her hand out about 6 inches from her face...so in a brief instant I realized I had been snubbed and it was kind of embarrassing. I thought maybe no one noticed, but the friends I was sitting with were all snickering saying, "That was awkward". So the other night we were discussing it and apparently some churches put a stop to this practice during the winter since there are so many people with colds, etc. I can see their point. But I felt it definitely had to be a unanimous thing...I was still feeling the pain of being snubbed. That is until tonight. We just went to Christmas Eve mass and sat in front a row of 5 adults, all of whom spent the entire mass coughing or sniffing. I realized I had to snub them, as much as I knew I would feel bad about it. When the time came, I just spent extra long with each of my children and all the people in front of us...so it was never awkward, but I still felt bad. Call me snubber.

No comments:

Post a Comment