Monday, December 1, 2008

Digging Out of My Mashed Potato Haze...

Welcome to the "home stretch" for 2008 as we all try to get back to some sort of normalcy after gorging ourselves over the Thanksgiving Holiday...don't try to pretend you didn't, because we all know you did....we did too. The only time I let myself indulge so freely in gravy is Thanksgiving and Christmas - same meal, one month apart. You'd think we would learn to space it out a bit better, or maybe it's better to get it all over with quickly....that way it doesn't really count, right? Thanksgiving is so relaxing for me...have breakfast, hang out, eat a huge meal, sleep, have a snack and go to bed. Yes, I had my pumpkin pie with Cool Whip so I'm good until Dec 25th.

In the meantime we have the tedious business of Christmas shopping. This year we're on a tight budget and it's almost a game. Let's see how well we can do with as little money possible. Have you experienced Freecycle yet? If not, you're in for a treat! Go to www.freecycle.org and you can search for the chapter in your town or closest to you. Everything posted has to be for free...so basically stuff you are sick of looking at in your house. You know, that basket of knick knacks that has been collecting dust for the last 10 years? Oh yeah, there is someone near you who will take it off your hands! Now being someone who sells on eBay, I will usually post something twice on eBay and if it doesn't sell, I post it on Freecycle! I just got rid of a bag today of winter hats/gloves that no longer fit my kids. I also emailed someone today about a "like new" easy bake oven - it's on Beth's list and she'll never know the difference.

We used to partake in the annual day after Thanksgiving sales...yes, we would get up at 3am and get our running suits on and join all the other crazies out there, but now I find I can do just as well online. And I don't have to worry about being trampled. I was talking with my friend at work today about the person at WalMart who was trampled to death in the mad rush when the store opened the day after Thanksgiving. I saw on the news where they are looking for the people who did it. I know this is going to sound...well, not very nice, but have you ever been in a situation like this? You really have no control over what you are doing...the crowd almost becomes a unit and surges forward with quite a force. I was thinking back to an Ozzy Osbourne concert in the late '80's at the New Haven Coliseum - I was there with a friend and we had seats on the floor. I, of course, was decked out in my spandex mini skirt, spandex top and my boots....what?....ok, stop laughing, I thought I looked hot! Anyway, halfway through the show Ozzy yells at the crowd "Come to me, children" and all the idiots on the floor start rushing the stage! Well it was quite scary and I was lucky my friend, Ted, was strong enough to deflect people away from me...why, you ask? Well, let's remember this is me we're talking about. When the crowd rushed, I somehow got thrown and ended up with my legs through a folded up, folding chair...oh yes, very attractive. There I was, flailing in a folding chair on the floor...hard to recover from that with any dignity. I'm still trying! Boy am I all over the place in this post! I guess I haven't quite recovered from my pumpkin pie fog......

No comments:

Post a Comment