Saturday, October 4, 2008

Refer To The Geniuses For Answers

Now that our trip is over and we are dealing with the after effects of taking our children out of school only 3 weeks into the year, I can tell you for sure WE WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN! The main reason we did it was the times available for Mike to take vacation - and we figured they are both really smart so it wouldn't impact them as much. Wrong!
First, Jamie didn't get any of her work that she would have to do to catch up until the night before we left and I did not let her take any with her. I know some people do that - I heard other parents once or twice telling their kids they were going back to the hotel and doing homework. Sorry but that sucks - not happening. Now I didn't know that this was going to completely stress Jamie out when we returned home. She was miserable trying to do hours and hours of work and feeling completely overwhelmed that she would never see the light at the end of the tunnel. She actually is still trying to catch up but should be there by the end of this week.
Second, Bethany is at a new school this year in her little genius class. her teacher didn't seem too concerned, but thinking back now when I told her, what was she going to do, have a fit and stress Bethany out? Our plans were made so there was nothing she could do. I guess I took her non-chalance to mean Bethany would be fine...which she will. But it's been a really tough week. Of course I didn't help matters at all. She came home from school with reminders of 2 projects due. One I was aware of, but the other I was clueless. Turns out she came home with the assignment the 2nd week of school, but I haphazardly filed the paper away, never to be seen again....until last week when I was in a panic. So I am forcing her to cram and feel terrible.

So yes, it was a good trip, but I bet if we had checked with our children about when they wanted to go, both would have said they didn't want to miss school. Really, I'm sure of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment