Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Aunt Edamame And The Fitness Game....

Do you consider yourself fit? If you do, then you probably don't need to continue reading.... I read an article in Reader's Digest about what it means to be fit at 40. I can hear the groans out there already, and I normally would be right there with you, however with 40 ready to kick me in the ass in 2 months, I've realized the need to be healthy. OK, I guess one always knows one should be healthy so I didn't just realize this fact; I'm just saying it's only going to get harder....so who's with me?!!! (cricket, cricket) I thought so...tough crowd. Ok, ok, I can understand your hesitation so here is a website from the President's Council on Physical Fitness and Sports to take a fitness test: www.adultfitnesstest.org. I just took a look at the website, but I haven't done the test yet, although I will let you know when I do. The Reader's Digest article has goals for healthy 40 yr old men and women...I'm only going to give you the stats for the women...screw the men - they skip their cookies one day and lose 10 pounds!

Push ups: women should be able to do 33 (on knees) without stopping

1.5 mile-run: women should be able to do it under 12 minutes - this would be tough for me - kind of like "I don't cook", well "I don't run"

Half sit ups: women should be able to do 60 in one minute - piece of cake...did I just say cake?

Sit and reach: women should be able to reach 9 inches beyond their heels - can someone explain what the hell this is to me? Where am I supposed to be reaching and how am I positioned that I am reaching beyond my heels?

The website does look promising, but the knee-ups while running with 9 inch heels do not!

I recently discovered a food that could help you on your road to fitness. It is spelled edamame, but who knows how one is supposed to pronounce it. From what I have read it is soy in its natural form. It looks like oversized pea pods, although I bought it shelled and frozen. I just boiled it, put some Olivio on it with salt and butter and it was delicious! I thought it had almost a nutty flavor.



Then today I added some cold, left-over edamame to a pasta salad I had made. Very yummy!



This is supposed to be a super food...really healthy for you, although I'm not an expert on food, as we all know. Many of you are probably reading this saying, "I've been eating that for years! What's the big deal!" Well if that's the case smarty pants, please send us how you prepare your edamame. I have a feeling I'll be adding it to everything...."Mom, what's this in my cereal?"

No comments:

Post a Comment