Sunday, March 29, 2009

It's All About The Price....

I know it's hard to believe, but when I'm not blogging, playing with my kids, yelling at my kids, working full time, reading a good book, etc....I like to read magazines. All kinds. Funny thing is, I really can't afford to subscribe to them, so I get a lot of my Mom's cast offs. Somehow she got a whole bunch of free magazines from points from one of her credit cards, so I now get Money and Entrepreneur as well. This is great, except I don't have time to read them all, but I can't throw them out unless I have at least leafed through them cover to cover. I will actually get anxious if I have to put one in the recycling bin without ever having opened it...I mean there could have been a really good website in there, or a great tip on how to get the stains out of something I don't even own...or at least not yet! Anyhoo, the magazines are always the same, Woman's Day, Money, Family Fun, Entrepreneur, Sports Illustrated, ESPN and Kraft Food (which is really good and free...sign up at their website!)....but somehow an "In Style" magazine made it's way into my house. I'm not that familiar with the magazine, but it almost seems like a "Glamour" magazine for adult women...yes, ladies, Glamour is for the teens! So, of course I have to read through it, although there is more looking than reading. After reading through it, I can see why I don't read these kinds of magazines. They are meant for the female millionaire, or wife of a millionaire. I'm not kidding...clothes that cost what I take home in a week, or a month! Then I came across this page:


You probably can't see the fine print, so I'll tell you all you need to know. The black spider web ring is $1200, the gold circle pin is $1500, the green flower ring is $6600, the raven ring is $7750 and the gorgeous lizard and pearl ring...................$17,400! Seriously. I won't even tell you what percentage of my yearly pay that is. AND it gives a phone number after each price in case you can't wait to call right now and order yours! I really think that even if I had a ton of money I would buy this type of stuff. People are going hungry, yet somewhere, someone right now is saying to themselves....where is that phone? I need one of these for the country club dinner this weekend! I won't go into the article about designer Robert Cavalli's yacht and all the REAL fur he has just laying around to snuggle up in. I thought real fur was a no-no and had been for years...but apparently the rich still buy it secretly by the boatloads...no pun intended!

In all fairness the magazine did have 2 pages with 17 ideas to help out different charities. I'll list some here:

Pantene Beautiful Lengths (www.beautifullengths.com) - donate your hair and they create wigs for women undergoing cancer treatment.

Keep A Child Alive: Text 90999 with your mobile phone and you pledge $5 to help keep children of AIDS alive in Africa.

Lance Armstrong Foundation: The reason I personally like the whole "Livestrong" line is because the proceeds benefit all types of cancer...you don't have to pick one or the other. This particular article was highlighting a new line of Livestrong active wear coming out. (www.livestrong.org)

Volunteer at a local ASPCA shelter or actually adopt a pet.

I think I'll stick to my low-cost mags in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment