Monday, March 16, 2009

Martha Stewart Time Warp....

So taking a look back a recent posts, I can see I have somehow ended up in this other dimension where I cook and bake and try to be all domestic-like. I've definitely taken a bit of a departure from my modus operendi, but I'm making my way back....right after this post. Again, I blame www.thepioneerwoman.com and www.bakerella.blogspot.com - everything they do is made to look like the kitchen-impaired (that would be me) can do it so I get these crazy ideas in my head that it would be fun...yes, I get ideas that baking and cooking would be fun....this madness has to stop! After this....

So bakerella is famous for her cake pops and if you go to her blog she has tutorials on how to make them. They are simple, in theory, to make. I tried it out so I could being some as treats to Bethany's class today...here's how it went.

You start by mixing crumbled up cake with frosting then forming it into balls. Mine were not perfecting looking balls like you would see on bakerella's blog and mine were all different sizes as well - no size or shape consistency for me. Then you dip a lollipop stick in melted chocolate and stick it into the cake ball and leave to set....

Now I should mention here that these should have been on wax paper, but of course I had none. Once the lollipop sticks are in, put them in the freezer to set. Once set, melt chocolate, dip the balls then tap to get rid of the excess. This is where I think I went wrong. I think I got rid of too much of the excess. Or maybe it was because mine were not perfectly round....but once I dipped mine, they were a little lumpy:

I put sprinkles on to try to take away from the lumpiness. Bakerella makes ones that look like little cupcakes on a stick....very cute, but I didn't have any other color melting chocolate other then white or milk, which you need to make them look like cupcakes. Of course I didn't have much cutesy stuff to decorate them with besides sprinkles.
The other issue I had is that once you dip them, you are supposed to have a block of Styrofoam to stick the sticks in while they set. The closest thing I had was the lid to a Styrofoam cooler, which kind of worked. Ya want to know what worked even better? The second sheet cake I had baked and had cooled...i just stuck the sticks right in it! Worked like a charm....but see how lumpy they are? Maybe next time I'll figure out....I mean if there is a next time : )

No comments:

Post a Comment